– I have a review of Jeff Madrick’s new book “Age of Greed” online at the Nation.
– I’ve just discovered Peter Frase’s blog and it is highly recommended. He advances the rentier capitalism arguments we brought up with Hardt here, his anti-Star Trek post is getting great attention and he’s experiencing the invisible college of economics ideas.
– Alyssa Rosenberg discusses George R.R. Martin’s sci-fi saga A Song of Ice and Fire and foreign policy for Foreign Policy Magazine. Should I have read this by now?
– Aaron Bady is excellent on the surveillance industry and schools. I had a response in my head that isn’t going to get written that was all about Simon’s Governing Through Crime. Schools are where we learn to become citizens, and the citizen who stands in relationship to the state as either potential criminal, potential victim or especially now potential security threats as flag by data aggregation seems about right for where we are right now.
– Jamelle Bouie on “Another Regressive and Undemocratic ‘Grand Bargain’ from Obama and Boehner.” Yup.
– Big story. Florida firing Assistant AG’s in Florida to protect the foreclosure industry? From Dayen.
– And the Right is already running against Obama for cutting Social Security. As well they should. What will he even say in response: “We all got in the boat together” or some similar nonsense?